All the way from the very local and brilliant Crich Tramway Village, we are delighted to welcome London County Council no.1, otherwise known as ‘Bluebird’ into our workshop for a complete overhaul.

The overhaul, which we expect to take 4-6 weeks will see us completely re-engineer and reconstruct the tramcar to full operational and (better than) original specification.

1 LCC1 Arrives At Garmendale 700x525 1
LCC1 arrives at Garmendale
2 The Low Loader Arrives Into The Works Ready To Be Carefully Unloaded 700x525 1
The low loader arrives into the works ready to be carefully unloaded
3 Detail Of The LCC1 At The Garmendale Works With The Uncovered LCC Crest On The Full Panel 800x600 1
Detail of the LCC1 at the Garmendale Works with the uncovered LCC crest on the full panel
4. Beginning To Unload The LCC 1 Very Carefully And Protecting The Crest 500x500 1
Beginning to unload the LCC 1 very carefully and protecting the crest
5. Safely Lifted And Being Steered Into The Works
Safely lifted and being steered into the works
7. Slowly Wheeled Into The Workshop 800x600 1
Slowly wheeled into the workshop
8. Theres Still Pkenty Of Clearance Through The Doors 500x1000 1
Theres still plenty of clearance through the doors
9. Space To Work On LCC1 As She Is Finally Oved Into The Workshop 500x500 1
Space to work on LCC1 as she is finally moved into the workshop

We have a great track record (can you see what I did there?) in rail based transport projects and our Snowdon Mountain railway redesign and rebuild is still delivering thousands of passengers per day, the easy way, to the top of Snowdon to the Ray Hole designed Snowdon Summit Centre. You can see it running on this video.

One of the first gems on LCC1 is the beautiful panel with the original badging and London County Council Crest. This crest was introduced in 1914.

London County Council Crest On LCC1 768x1024
London County Council Crest on LCC1

From reading into the background, the blue and silver waves were designed to represent the River Thames and the Port of London. The English lion on a St George’s cross was to show that London was the “Royal centre of England”, and encompassed the capital city of England. The gold mural crown indicated that the arms were those of a municipal body.

As the arms included the English lion which was part of the royal arms, a royal warrant was issued on 29 July 1914. It was superseded (by a less attractive design) In 1953 when the county council adopted a simplified version of the arms.

This crest on the panel was uncovered by the team at Crich (very slowly and by hand by all accounts!). This was on a panel that was in appalling condition and one of our first jobs was to ensure that it will be safe and visible for generations to come.

More News

22nd June 2022

Celebrating A Very Special Birthday!

This August is the 90th Anniversary of arguably Denmark’s finest export and the Universes favourite toy. LEGO is one of the world’s most recognisable brands, with toys, films, tv shows, and theme parks all contributing to the legacy of LEGO (LEGOcy). In celebration of this incredible milestone we’d love to reminisce looking back on a […]

View Blog
10th June 2022

Dinosaur Proof Engineering

Our team is filled with rather excited film fans as the truly epic Jurassic Park series comes to an end tomorrow with the release of Jurassic World: Dominion. This beloved film series spans, 6 films, multiple theme park rides, and countless spin-offs. Believe it or not Garmendale Engineering have their own piece of Jurassic history […]

View Blog
8th June 2022

Park Welcome Gates In a Flash

It is no secret that Garmendale Engineering know how to create an incredible gating system. With our world-renowned RG-11 gating systems featuring in many of the world’s greatest theme parks and attractions. From Universal Orlando to Warner Bros. World Abu Dhabi our gating systems are taking over the world. The most recent and ambitious RG-11 […]

View Blog